Recently, Panasonic announced that the Panasonic S1H mirrorless camera would receive a new firmware update on May 25th that would, amongst other things, add support for RAW over HDMI so that you could record 4K ProRes RAW to the Atomos Ninja V recorder. Well, it’s May 25th, the new firmware has dropped, but you can’t shoot ProRes RAW yet.
Panasonic and Atomos have released a joint statement stating that an “unforeseen technical issue” during the final round of beta testing requires a little more work. A release date for the updated update which includes ProRes RAW support will be released at a future unspecified day, at which point the new Atomos Ninja V AtomOS will be released, too.
The firmware updates enabling the much-anticipated Atomos Ninja V and Panasonic LUMIX S1H RAW over HDMI combination have unfortunately been slightly delayed from the original 25th May release schedule, to ensure the highest possible level of RAW recording.
An unforeseen technical issue has come to light in the final rounds of beta testing that needs rectification prior to shipping. The companies are working together to complete the development as soon as possible. We apologise to our mutual customers waiting for the functions this release enables.
Please note that Panasonic will be releasing Ver 2.0 firmware on May 25th with various improvements to camera functions, however will not include the planned RAW HDMI output feature. Atomos will release its Ninja V AtomOS for LUMIX S1H HDMI RAW in-line with Panasonic’s RAW output firmware.
As to what actually has been included, well, Panasonic has released the firmware as scheduled, minus RAW over HDMI support, and it enhances, improves or fixes the following…
1. Enhanced video functions / improved performance
- Downconverted output over HDMI during [6K]/[5.9K]/[5.4K] video recording is available.
- In Creative Video mode, it is possible to disable the operation of starting/stopping video recording by pressing a shutter button.
- In Creative Video mode, it is possible to set [Rec Quality(My List)] from the control panel.
- The value of noise reduction in [V-Log] in Photo Style has been expanded to [-1]. It suppress afterimages previously occurred in some situations.
- It is possible to prevent the enlarged view window of MF Assist to be output over HDMI.
- There were cases where color banding appeared in 4:2:0/10-bit video recording in some situations. This bug has been minimized.
- There were cases where the REC RUN time code did not count up when the video was not recorded on an SD Memory Card but was recorded on an external device over HDMI. This bug has been fixed.
2.Other added functions / improvements
- It is possible to set [AF+MF] in AFC mode.
- It is possible to assign functions to the lens’ Fn buttons when the Panasonic LUMIX S PRO 70-200mm F2.8 O.I.S. (S-E70200) is mounted.
- It is possible to assign function to the Fn buttons of Sigma L-Mount interchangeable lenses.
- When attaching a lens using the Sigma MC-21 mount converter and [Image Stabilizer] > [Lens] is set to ON , Body I.S.(Image Stabilizer) suppresses roll movement.
- [Backlight Illumination Period] has been added to the menu of Status LCD. [ON1] prevents the LCD backlight to be turned off.
- It is possible to select the card slot to save the JPEG images developed by in-camera RAW processing.
- [0.5 SEC] has been added for an option of [Duration Time (photo)] in [Auto Review].
- [Off (Disable Press and Hold)] can be assigned to the Fn button. It disables operation when the button is long-pressed.
- Fn button can be used for checking aperture effect while the button is pressed.
- To prevent improper operation, touch-control is disabled for [Delete All] operation in playback mode. Only cursor buttons can be used for [Delete All] operation.
- There were rare cases where the camera froze during [Segmented File Recording] or during recording at 400 Mbps under a particular set of conditions including the type of SD Card used. This phenomenon has been solved.
- Aperture and shutter speed can be controlled using front/rear dials when the rear monitor is set to OFF.
- There were cases where F value control failed depending on the maximum F value when non-Panasonic L-Mount lens is mounted. This bug has been fixed.
The version 2.0 firmware for the Panasonic S1H can be downloaded from the Panasonic website.