If the advertised astrophotography capabilities of the Google Pixel 4 enticed you to upgrade from your Pixel 1 or 2, you might be able to do without. The latest Google Camera mod brings this feature and lots more to the older Pixel phones.
As with any software mod, your mileage may vary and the risk is your own; but if you’re willing to take a chance on the third-party Google Camera 7.2 mod app, you’ll be rewarded with a slew of features that either haven’t yet, or won’t ever, come to the older Google Pixel smartphones.
Features included in Version 7.2.010, as listed on the XDA-Developers forum, are:
- Enable Astro mode for Pixel 1 & 2
- Enable Focus options in Night Sight (along with “infinity” – may be same as far)
- Modded lib for Learned Depth in Portrait Mode (Pixel 2)
- Enable Super Res Zoom while zoomed or in Night Sight (no zoom required) – this is like Pixel 3 stock
- Enable auto timer (photobooth), it’s in the selfie camera in the Timer options
- Enable synthetic fill flash for Pixel 2 and enable SFF in Camera mode for 3a
If you own a Pixel 1 or Pixel 2, you may want to consider giving this mod a try. While the Pixel 3 will get lots of the features ported down from the Pixel 4, the Pixel 1 and 2 might not get quite as much love from Google this time around… plus Astrophotography mode looks pretty cool on the Pixel 4.
To learn more about the latest build or download it for yourself, click here.